As of September 22, 2014, the NIDDK Clearinghouses Publication Catalog and Image
Library sites will be unavailable until further notice.
Although you will not be able to order publications, you can view, download, and print them by using the links below.
For urgent matters, please send an email to email@example.com.
Your Guide to Diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2
Prevent Diabetes Problems
Taking care of your diabetes every day will help your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels stay in your target ranges. Caring for your diabetes can also help prevent other health problems over the years. You can do a lot to prevent diabetes problems:
- Follow your healthy eating plan every day.
- Be physically active every day.
- Take your medicines every day.
- Check your blood glucose levels every day.
Types of Diabetes Problems
Diabetes problems can damage parts of the body such as the
- blood vessels
Heart and blood vessel disease can lead to heart attacks and strokes. Nerve damage can lead to a loss of feeling in the feet, which may lead to an amputation. You will want to take steps to prevent these diabetes problems.
Read more about preventing diabetes problems in the following publications at www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov. These publications are also available in Spanish and large-print versions:
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your diabetes under control
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your eyes healthy
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your feet healthy
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your heart and blood vessels healthy
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your kidneys healthy
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your mouth healthy
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your nervous system healthy
Page last updated February 12, 2014